May 15, 2008

Mother's Day

On May 11th, the world over, it is celebrated as Mother's Day. My aunt in Calgary had informed me earlier on the significance of that day. To a person like me, all these festivities offer just a fancy value nevertheless I made some excuse and told her that since I dint send any card on Father's day, its futile sending one on Mother's day !!! lol!

That day, the church service in Calgary was an ordinary one. For the first time, the designated speaker couldn't make it to the worship and there was no sermon at the worship. It surprised me when the secretary, Ashok asked me to come up and speak about Mother's day. Something in me said, since I don't have anything to lose, might as well give it a try. I went up to the stage and though unprepared I explained how my mother has been a great influence to my life, how she was there for me during my meningitis and how I endured those times along with the miraculous recovery. I went on explaining about the various mothers in the Bible:- Sarah, Rebecca, Mother Mary etc. I was unprepared and words just flowed on. I ended it within 2-minutes and I got a round of applause. After the service, people came upto me and told me that was a good sermon. I looked at my aunt and I wondered, what a Mother's day gift!!!

No comments: