Oct 4, 2007

Hope in a new ground

Its been over a month since I arrived in Canada and the past experiences have really brought me closer than ever to the belief in destiny. Life in itself is full of surprises and when they present themselves in unique ways its great to be a part of it. I was reading Forrest Gump i.e, both the prequel and the sequel. The former is renowned as it was made into a path breaking, Oscar award winning movie starring Tom Hanks (which I have to admit is really a pale version of the book..incidentally so the sequel starts with the following words..' never make a movie on your life'; which again in my opinion is true). Both the books by Winston Groom, though exaggerated in some aspects preaches the wealth of experiences that Forrest Gump goes through, how it is to be born as a fool and to live in a complex world with the mindset of a kid. Through the ttwo decades of my life, I have believed that the world becomes a better places if people learned to keep things simple. When we keep things simple in life, we have better experiences that gives us a strength of hope with the world, life etc; or let me rephrase it hope in a new ground.

Hope is often a mistaken terminology. We hope for better things in life, a new car, a new house, a new job or better savings. Eventually one way or the other we end up getting them. Then what ? Do we still hope ? Yeah we do.. We hope for something better all the time. But its pointless when we don't exercise restraint, i.e, without enjoying the things we got, yearning for things unknown. Didn't get me ? Wait I will be more specific.

Chris Gardner...Does that word ring a bell ? Well guys who watched the movie 'Pursuit of Happyness' would swear by that name. How the above-said man went from a medical representative selling scanners to a renowned stockbroker while managing his kid provides fodder for many uninspiring people. People who don't hope, who do the same routine job for decades without any improvement in life..static and stoic people. Well if they are sensible they better do hope. In the books of Gump, we see how that man goes through a wealth of experiences and emerges triumphant. I had a teacher back in college. Well one day I had a chance to go through his resume which was about 6 pages long. He had worked in many companies but never more than 6 months. His wealth of experiences are many which would seem unbelievable to people who knew him inside out. So I better stick to the safe ground and safe my experiences for my autobiography...But I tell you there is nothing as great as hope.

No comments: